The DME Technician drives a van with cargo trailer combination. This person delivers, exchanges, sets up and picks up durable medical equipment and respiratory equipment and supplies at the patients’ physical location (e.g., residence, adult care home, assisted living, long term care facility, etc.).
Technicians generally make 5-6 stops per day. They are the “face” of Hospice Express. They provide excellent patient care by delivering and setting-up medical equipment, and instructing patients and/or caregivers on the proper use and care of equipment in a compassionate and respectful manner. As part of a customer service team, technicians also maintain an awareness of patients’ conditions and needs, and communicates that information to the appropriate staff.
• Prepares the van and cargo trailer daily for delivery by pulling stock (e.g., wheelchairs, hospital beds, bathroom aids, medical supplies, etc.) from warehouse inventory and loading equipment in the designated compartments of the van and cargo trailer.
• Participates with supervisor/manager to conduct a daily assessment and verification (Pre-Trip Inspection) of the van/cargo trailer, equipment and supplies, and confirm basic safety operations (e.g., lights, brakes, mileage, vehicle appearance, etc.).
• Reviews basic equipment operation and instructs patients and/or caregivers on the proper use and care.
• Schedules pick up and delivery orders with patient/caregivers. Breaks down, loads and returns equipment.
• Maintains continuous communication with the customer service team to relay a change in an order or issues with prescribed orders, position in routes, stock availability and to confirm delivery and pick up of equipment.
• Completes and maintains a driver log, vehicle check out and vehicle inspection reports.
• Responds to emergency calls and new patient orders during regular business hours and on-call rotation hours.
• Upon completion of routes, unloads and checks-in returned equipment with the warehouse, placing dirty equipment in the designated area for cleaning.
• Stocks delivery vans and cargo trailers with rolling stock to ensure “ready” condition for the next delivery.
• Cleans, disinfects, inspects, tests, and repairs medical equipment.
Required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the role include the following:
Education, Work Experience or Related Experience:
• A high school diploma or equivalent is required
• A current state issued driver’s license is required and must be able to pass a DOT physical and drug test
• A confirmed driving motor vehicle record (MVR) successfully demonstrating no major violations in the past five consecutive years, no more than three minor violations or at-fault accidents in the past 36 consecutive months and no more than one preventable accident in the past 36 months
• At least six months experience in a role that entailed regular interface with customers
• Experience in the healthcare or medical fields in which incumbents have worked with durable medical equipment is preferred
• One year previous delivery or warehouse experience preferred
Specialized Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• The ability to maintain a flexible schedule to accommodate unplanned events and participate in an on-call rotation is essential
• The ability to read, write and follow written and oral instructions is required to ensure accurate completion of DME deliveries, exchanges and pick-ups
• The ability to protect and maintain the confidentiality of patient protected health information and follow standard operating procedures to ensure compliance with HQAA and HIPAA is required
• The ability to operate an extended van and 12 foot cargo trailer in a safe manner is essential
• The ability to follow a GPS or road map and navigate or alter a delivery route is required
• Good organization and prioritization skills are required to plan and stage equipment as described
• A safety orientation is required to perform work (e.g., driving, delivery, set up, loading and stocking of durable medical equipment as described) and follow safety operating procedures
• Spanish speaking skills are desirable but not required
• Working knowledge and experience with mobile phone equipment is required to relay information to customer service and perform on-call coverage
Physical Requirements and Demands:
• This role entails prolonged sitting, standing, walking, pushing/pulling and climbing in and out of the van
• On a regular basis, the ability to lift, carry and move durable medical equipment that weighs up to 75lbs. for a moderate period of time (25% – 50% of the day)
• Depending on location, incumbents are required to occasionally dispense liquid oxygen which requires the ability to lift, pull, push, and carry containers up to 100lbs
• Regular and continuous eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity is required to set up durable medical equipment
• Frequent bending, twisting, grasping and squeezing and occasional kneeling, climbing stairs, reaching above the shoulder is required to transport and set up medical equipment as described
• Ability to utilize basic tools e.g., wrench, screwdrivers etc. to set up or repair durable medical equipment
NOTE: To apply for this position, please send your resume and/or relevant work experience to email@example.com